Garcia Forum
ko tore a bicep in sparring

Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    Garcia Forum // Voorbeeld Forum
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
yyys123

BerichtGeplaatst: 19-07-2019 02:51:56    Onderwerp: ko tore a bicep in sparring Reageren met citaat
TORONTO - Dwight Buycks is not your typical NBA rookie. The lone first-year player on Torontos roster, Buycks has taken a different path than most of the leagues rookies, one that should afford him a greater appreciation of this opportunity he has chased so relentlessly. Buycks comes to the Raptors following an MVP season in the French league, a worthwhile detour for him after spending the year prior in the NBA development league and going undrafted in 2011. "My dream has always been to play in the NBA," said the 24-year-old guard after practice Tuesday. "So that was the route I had to take at the time and it wasnt a problem for me to take it." Choosing to go play overseas was a difficult decision for the former Marquette Golden Eagle and Milwaukee native. He had heard both pros and cons about making the move - an increasingly popular option for players on the cusp of the NBA - but knew it was the best way for him to get back on the radar. "Its always been something that was talked about," he remembered, "so when the time came [there] wasnt too much to think about." Still a young man, his basketball career had hit several unexpected roadblocks but his willingness to fight through them and adapt to his new surroundings allowed him to excel. "It definitely was a great year, my first full season overseas," said Buycks, who averaged 18.0 points, 3.2 rebounds and 2.9 assists with Gravelines of the French Pro A league in 2012-13. "I got over there and we connected real good, the team, the players, the coaches, they put a lot of trust in me with the basketball and to lead them to win games." Many young players, and recently some veterans at the end of their celebrated careers, have headed overseas looking for an easy paycheque and a fast track path (back) to the NBA. Generally, it doesnt take long for those players to realize the experience, the brand of basketball and the culture change is far more than they bargained for. Buycks, on the other hand, committed himself to it, which allowed him to reap the benefits. "It definitely is a grind to go over there for that long a time," he admitted, specifically citing the food and general way of living being different from what he was used to. "When I went over there I made the choice to not go home. "I wanted to stay there the whole time, so for our little Christmas break I decided to stay there and not go home because I didnt want to get comfortable with being home and then have to go right back. So that was definitely a tough decision for me to make but I think it paid off." Buycks turned enough heads to score an invite to the Orlando Summer League with Oklahoma City, where he continued his strong play and ultimately received a guaranteed contract offer from Masai Ujiri and the Raptors. Averaging 7.0 points and 2.8 assists in four preseason games with Toronto, Buycks has been the recipient of significant praise from his new head coach. "He played well in Summer League, hes played well in training camp and hes done a decent job in the exhibition games," Dwane Casey said of Buycks. "[Hes made] typical rookie mistakes but I dont know if there are any guards [taken] in the late first or second round [in this years draft] that are as good as Dwight." "For us it was a steal," he continued. "It was a good eye for his talent because he has speed and quickness you cant teach." Not surprisingly his work ethic has caught Caseys eye and his commitment to defence - something hes familiar with having played in a hard-nosed defensive system with Marquette - has helped him fit right in. With Kyle Lowry locked in as the starter, Buycks is competing with the more experienced D.J. Augustin for playing time as the back-up point guard. Both players bring different strengths to the table meaning, at least for now, this battle has all the makings of a platoon. "Its going to be a fluid back-up situation," Casey has stated, dependent on match-ups and who has the hot hand. Buycks would appear to be the underdog in this scenario given Augustins experience and past success but underestimate the reigning French league MVP at your own risk. Hes been overlooked before. "It wouldnt be a problem whatever my role is for the team," he said. "Im just trying to help the team win games anyway I can. Whether thats playing or not playing Im going to help these guys off the court when Im not in the game." Preseason schedule, a double-edged sword After playing four exhibition games last week the Raptors have just one on the schedule for this week, a Wednesday affair with Kelly Olynyk and the Boston Celtics at the Air Canada Centre. You can hear it live on TSN 1050 Radio at 7pm et. For Casey and the coaching staff this is both a blessing and a curse, as the team will get the additional practice time theyve desired but have a limited opportunity to implement their work in-game. "Its a double-edged sword," Casey said. "So were going to spend our time on the practice floor working on our timing, defensive rotations and all those things but then too we want to see those things executed in the game. Youd like to have it where it wasnt so spread out but it is what it is." Just about halfway through training camp, the team has reached a juncture where maintaining focus is one of the biggest challenges with everyone looking ahead to the regular season. "Today I had to ramp them up a couple times but thats normal NBA training camp," Casey said after practice Tuesday. "But the good teams, the teams that are serious about winning maintain that focus, that edge." "Youve got to take advantage of preseason to get out all the kinks, all the rustiness, all the things youve been working on in training camp," DeMar DeRozan acknowledged, having been though this process four times before, going into his fifth year. "For a player like me, Im ready to play now, but were just going to use these last couple games to get ready." Dan Hamhuis Predators Jersey . - While he appreciates suggestions from Packers fans of remedies for his sore left calf, Aaron Rodgers is not necessarily going to listen to the advice. Viktor Arvidsson Predators Jersey . 11 Ana Ivanovic and American Sloane Stephens, and former world No. http://www.authenticpredatorspro.com/Ryan-ellis-predators-jersey/ . Alen, 28, hit .315 with five home runs, 59 RBI and a career-high nine stolen bases for the Goldeyes last season. He is the longest serving catcher in Goldeyes history, having already spent five seasons with the organization. Calle Jarnkrok Jersey . It took five games, but the Celtics finally helped Stevens earn his first NBA victory. "Im going to celebrate for a whole 12 minutes, and then Im going to start watching Orlando and trying to figure them out," the first-year Celtics coach said after Boston beat the Utah Jazz, one of the leagues other winless teams, 97-87 on Wednesday night. Roman Josi Jersey . 15 in Hamburg. The fight was originally slated for Sept. 6 but had to be postponed after Klitschko tore a bicep in sparring and was forced to miss four weeks of training.SUNRISE, Fla. -- A timely save by Alex Stalock helped turned the momentum to the Sharks favour. Joe Pavelski, Matt Nieto and Joe Thornton scored and Stalock made 24 saves for his first career shutout and the San Jose Sharks topped the Florida Panthers 3-0 on Thursday night. Leading 1-0, the Sharks scored two goals in the third period, the first one following a great save by Stalock. Scottie Upshall took a shot from in front but Stalock stuck his leg out to barely block it. The Sharks took the puck quickly back the other way and Tyler Kennedy took a shot from the right side of the crease. Tim Thomas stretched to block it, but Nieto was there to sweep in the rebound at 4:44. "I ended up getting there and sometimes that happens where you make a big save on one end and right away on the other you get a chance like that," Stalock said. "We capitalized and that was a big turning point." Upshall thought he had a great chance at a goal. "I pretty much had the whole net to shoot at and he got his leg on it," Upshall said. "It could have been a game-tying play. Unfortunately, it went the other way." Stalock recorded his first shutout in 14 NHL games. "A win is a win on the road, but the first shutout is pretty special, something to remember," Stalock said. Stalock played his 11th game of the season to give starting goalie Antti Niemi a rest and made the most of his opportunity. "The goaltender was fine. A big save at 1-0, then back the other way for 2. Well take it," Sharks coach Todd McLellan said. Thomas made 36 saves for the Panthers. The Sharks, who defeated Washington 2-1 oon Tuesday, won consecutive road games for the first time since taking three straight Nov.dddddddddddd 12-15. They beat the Panthers for the first time in five games, dating to the 2008-09 season. The Sharks stretched their lead to 3-0 when Pavelski poked a rebound into the net at 11:46 of the third. Pavelski leads the Sharks with 22 goals and has 13 points in his past 13 games. San Jose took a 1-0 lead in the second on Thorntons breakaway goal. Thornton got a loose puck in the neutral zone, skated in on Thomas and put the puck over Thomass glove with 51 seconds left in the period. Thornton has 15 points in his past 13 games. "I dont know the last time I had a breakaway," Thornton said. "I wanted to float one in and see if I could catch him off guard and I did." Thomas stopped 21 shots in the first period, the most in a period against the Panthers since they allowed 21 against Ottawa on Dec. 3, also in the first period. "Obviously not happy that they were taking it to us pretty hard and they were the team that was ready to play and we werent," Thomas said. "Theyre a good team. They looked like a very good team against us tonight." The Sharks have been the best first-period team in the league with 52 goals, but Thomas was able to keep them out of the net. The Sharks had a 5-on-3 power play for 1:29 in the first, but the Panthers were able to kill off the penalty. The Panthers havent allowed a power-play goal in seven games. The Panthers are 0-for-25 on the power play over the past eight games. NOTES: Thornton leads the Sharks with 51 points. ... The Panthers havent played the Sharks since a 5-3 win on Dec. 3, 2011. ' ' '
Terug naar boven
Profiel bekijken Stuur privébericht
Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    Garcia Forum // Voorbeeld Forum Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Pagina 1 van 1

Ga naar: