Garcia Forum
et back on the field where I

Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    Garcia Forum // Voorbeeld Forum
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
yyys123

BerichtGeplaatst: 19-07-2019 02:47:15    Onderwerp: et back on the field where I Reageren met citaat
MONTREAL -- Coach Tom Higgins calls working with general manager Jim Popp "a match made in heaven." And the pleasantries exchanged between the two men on a conference call on Tuesday made it hard to imagine they were rivals for the Montreal Alouettes head coaches job. That was settled when team owner Bob Wetenhall insisted that the jobs of coach and general manager be kept separate, and that Popp would have to stick to his GM duties. "This is the model that has made us successful," said Wetenhall. "This has given Jim the time and the freedom to go out and build our team, year after year, always with a few new players added. "To have a GM with the freedom and the time to do this is the model we really wanted to go back to." In the 59-year-old Higgins, the Alouettes hired a CFL veteran who spent seven years as a head coach in Edmonton and Calgary, winning a Grey Cup with the Eskimos in 2003. The Woodbridge, N.J., native spent the last six years as the leagues director of officiating. "Tom brings a winning record and a tremendous reputation as a stand-up, high class guy," said Wetenhall. Popp, the teams general manager since it returned to Montreal in 1996 who is considered among the CFLs best, had hoped to continue in both jobs after taking over from the fired Dan Hawkins, who had no previous CFL experience, only five games in to the 2013 campaign. When Higgins was confirmed in the job on Monday, it raised speculation that Popp may be on his way out. Wetenhall would not confirm Popps long-term status with the club, but made it clear he wanted his GM to stay. And Popp, whose name has been linked to NFL jobs in recent years, said hes wants to carry on. "Ive been with the Alouettes for 18 years -- I plan on being there, its my other home," said Popp. "Ive had six children that were all born in Montreal and I really have no interest in leaving. "Circumstances come up, but the organization knows how loyal I am. Im a company man and its a place I enjoy being. Theres a lot that gets thrown around out there, a lot of it thats not true. But Im very happy." That Popp joined in the conference call was a surprise. His name wasnt mentioned in the Higgins announcement. And it was unusual that the general manager was not involved in the decision to hire the head coach. Wetenhalls son Andrew, a team governor, said that as a candidate for the coaching job, Popp would have been in conflict of interest if he had a say in who the next coach would be. But Popp had provided the owners with a list of potential coaching candidates with an assessment of their abilities. "This is a case where two people can work together who didnt select one another," said Andrew Wetenhall. "We have the added benefit of two guys who know each other and have a heck of a lot of respect for each other." Higgins said he didnt feel awkward at all working with Popp. "I couldnt be happier," he said. "I think our personalities complement one another. "We both want the same thing. This is an opportunity for myself to get back on the field where I belong. This is not a challenge whatsoever." Higgins first job will be to hire an offensive co-ordinator and fill out the coaching staff, which he expects to complete within 10 days. The Alouettes had already signed defensive co-ordinator Noel Thorpe to a two-year contract extension on Dec. 4, with the added title of assistant head coach. They also confirmed that Andre Bolduc, a former CFL player and head coach at Sherbrooke University, was signed as a defensive assistant coach. Wetenhall said one of Higgins assets was his ability to work with young quarterbacks, which will be needed in Montreal this season. For the first time since 2000, they will not have Anthony Calvillo as the starter as the CFLs all-time passing leader has retired. Troy Smith, the 2006 Heisman Trophy winner, and youngster Tanner Marsh are expected to compete for the starting job, with Alex Brink also in the picture. Higgins said he has worked with gifted young pivots before in Henry Burris and Ricky Ray. He feels the Alouettes can improve on last years 8-10 season. "Ive always marvelled at the level of talent in Montreal," he said. "I hope to bring a level of consistency and discipline. "We are going to be competitive and entertaining. And when you start doing that and playing disciplined football, usually you win more than you lose." Joe Namath Rams Jersey . Blatter, a 75-year-old Swiss executive who has been in office since 1998, was handed a final four-year term as head of footballs governing body in a vote at FIFAs congress. He won 186 votes out of 203 ballots. Bobby Evans Rams Jersey . According to the Globe and Mail, a decision between the NHL and the Players Association should come within the six months. "I can tell you, (a decision) shouldnt take all that long," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the Globe and Mail. http://www.footballramsshop.us/authentic-todd-gurley-rams-jersey/ . The 20-year-old Inoue landed a series of combinations and the bout was stopped 2 minutes, 54 seconds into the sixth round. Inoue, the first Japanese boxer to claim a world title in just his sixth professional fight, improved to 6-0 with five knockouts. Cooper Kupp Youth Jersey . Huntington doesnt want to help run the club unless Hurdle is in the dugout. The combination thats returned the franchise to respectability will remain intact for years to come. Orlando Pace Womens Jersey . -- Jacksonville Jaguars rookie receiver Marqise Lee has agreed to terms on a four-year contract worth more than $5 million. DENVER -- The Colorado Avalanche signed left winger Jamie McGinn to a two-year, $5.9 million deal Thursday. The 25-year McGinn had 19 goals and 19 assists in 79 games last season in helping the Avalanche tie a franchise record with 52 wins. He also had three game-wwinning goals.dddddddddddd Avalanche executive Joe Sakic said McGinn "played an important role for our team" as they made the playoffs for the first time since 2009-10. McGinn was acquired by Colorado in a trade with San Jose on Feb. 27, 2012. ' ' '
Terug naar boven
Profiel bekijken Stuur privébericht
Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    Garcia Forum // Voorbeeld Forum Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Pagina 1 van 1

Ga naar: