Garcia Forum
backhand passing wi

Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    Garcia Forum // Voorbeeld Forum
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
yyys123

BerichtGeplaatst: 22-07-2019 02:49:25    Onderwerp: backhand passing wi Reageren met citaat
PARIS - So unbeatable for so long until the closing days of Grand Slam tournaments, Roger Federer is suddenly accumulating early exits. Federers streak of nine consecutive quarter-finals at the French Open ended Sunday with a 6-7 (5), 7-6 (3), 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 fourth-round loss to 18th-seeded Ernests Gulbis of Latvia. "A lot of regrets," Federer said. "I just couldnt kind of figure it out." The 17-time Grand Slam champion had not left Roland Garros so soon since 2004, when he was beaten in the third round by Gustavo Kuerten. After that decade-old setback, though, Federer made at least the quarter-finals at a record 36 consecutive major tournaments, a streak that ended with a second-round loss at Wimbledon last year. Federer also put together record Slam runs of 10 finals and 23 semifinals in a row when he was at his dominant best. Now the 32-year-old Federer has bowed out before the quarter-finals at three of the last four majors. "I think it was the biggest, probably, win of my career," said Gulbis, who most certainly could have dispensed with the word "probably." Addressing spectators who sang Federers first name between points, Gulbis said: "Im sorry I had to win. I know all of you like Roger." The result fit with the topsy-turvy nature of this tournament: Both reigning Australian Open champions, No. 3 Stan Wawrinka and No. 2 Li Na, lost in the first round; No. 1 Serena Williams left in the second round. Gulbis now plays No. 6 Tomas Berdych, who eliminated the last American man, No. 10 John Isner. In another quarter-final, No. 2 Novak Djokovic will face No. 8 Milos Raonic of Thornhill, Ont. Wimbledon champion Andy Murray and No. 24 Fernando Verdasco set up a fourth-round meeting by finishing off victories in matches suspended Saturday night because of fading light. In womens action, 2012 champion Maria Sharapova ran off the last nine games to come back and beat No. 19 Samantha Stosur 3-6, 6-4, 6-0 for a quarter-final berth against 35th-ranked Garbine Muguruza of Spain, the 20-year-old who stunned Williams last week. No. 18 Eugenie Bouchard, from Montreal, will face No. 14 Carla Suarez Navarro of Spain in another quarter-final. The fourth-seeded Federers resume includes the 2009 French Open title, and he was a four-time runner-up in Paris to Rafael Nadal. But Federer was hardly in top form Sunday, making 59 unforced errors and getting broken twice while serving for a set. That included at 5-3, 40-15 in the second, when Federer sent an overhead right to Gulbis, who whipped a backhand passing winner. "I was lucky, I have to say," Gulbis said about that point. "I was really lucky." Said Federer: "Things got tough from then on for, like, a half-hour for me." He lost the last five points of the second-set tiebreaker, then dropped the third set, too. Another key moment came when Gulbis left the court with a trainer to take a medical timeout while trailing 5-2 in the fourth. As he walked out, Gulbis motioned to Federer, as if asking for permission to go. When Gulbis returned, some fans jeered and whistled at him, and he pointed to his lower back as if to say, "Hey, I was injured." At his news conference, Federer alternated between sounding a little perturbed about the lengthy intermission — and resigned to the idea that what Gulbis did was within the rules. "In the past, I guess, its been abused much more than today, but still, what can you tell?" Federer said. "He didnt look hurt in any way. But if you can use it, you know, might as well do it." Gulbis strokes had momentarily gone astray before that break, but afterward, the 25-year-old Gulbis once again displayed the big-hitting tennis that had many marking him as a future star when he was a teenager. He won 10 of the next 12 points, punctuating shots with exhales that sounded like growls. The fifth set was all Gulbis, who hadnt been to the quarter-finals at a major tournament since the 2008 French Open. Hes spoken openly about focusing more on enjoying the nightlife than perfecting his craft, and drew attention last week for saying he wouldnt encourage his younger sisters to pursue professional tennis because a woman "needs to think about family, needs to think about kids." In the concluding set, Gulbis raced to a 3-0 lead, thanks largely to Federer miscues. In the second game, Federer netted backhands and forehands to offer up break points, then pushed a forehand wide to give Gulbis a lead he never relinquished. After that miss, Federer grabbed a ball and swatted it in anger straight up in the air, a rare sign of exasperation from him. "Hes Roger Federer, but he also gets tight, you know," Gulbis said. "Hes probably going to make (that forehand) seven out of 10 (times). Other guys are going to make two out of 10. Mistakes happen." Roberto Firmino Jersey . 25 against Miami. Hillis left Browns Stadium about two hours before kickoff, a decision that has led to speculation he was upset over ongoing negotiations with the club on a contract extension. Cassio Jersey .ca. In addition to the game being aired in its entirety on CTV Two Vancouver Island and TSN.ca, TSN2 will also have coverage of Whitecaps FC immediately following NASCAR Sprint Cup Series: Toyota Owners 400. http://www.soccerbrazilonline.com/Danilo-Copa-America-Jersey/ .com) - The Los Angeles Kings werent playing their best hockey before the league went on break during the Winter Olympics. Renato Augusto Brazil Jersey . - Jesse Shynkaruk scored a hat trick as the Moose Jaw Warriors snapped a seven-game losing streak with an 8-2 win over the Prince Albert Raiders in Western Hockey League action on Saturday. Fernandinho Jersey . Speaking on TSN Radio 1050s TSN Drive with Dave Naylor on Monday, Colangelo said he had no intention of tanking the shortened 2011-12 season, but definitely wanted a high pick in the draft. "I wish that word wasnt used for headline reasons," said Colangelo, "but the story behind it was: how can we fix the system? How can we tweak the system to make it less likely that teams are rewarded for losing records? "I do believe that if youre as transparent as we were at the time - with our season seat holders, our fans, the market place and the media - everybody knew what the plan was and what we were going through.REGINA -- Saskatchewan Roughriders quarterback Darian Durant will miss this weeks game against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats due to an injured right elbow. Whether the injury, suffered in Sundays 30-24 victory over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, will keep Durant out of the lineup for an extended period of time is still not clear. "Im sure its going to be at least a week," Chamblin said Monday. "Its week-to-week for me. I cant get hung up on it being one or two or three weeks." Durant was attempting a pass in the third quarter Sunday when he was hit by Winnipeg defensive end Bryant Turner. Durants throwing arm was bent awkwardly on the play. The star quarterback dropped to the turf in considerable pain before he was helped to the locker-room. He did not return to the game. "I wouldnt want Darians season to be ended," Chamblin said. "(But) we dont work out of fear. If thats what were dealt then we just have to play the cards from there." Chamblin said Durrant was scheduled to see a doctor later Monday.dddddddddddd Backup quarterback Tino Sunseri relieved the injured Durant and helped the Riders hang on for the win, the teams seventh straight. Sunseri will start this Sunday for the Riders (8-2) when they visit the Hamilton Tiger-Cats (2-7) later this week. Sunseri has seen limited playing time this season as a reserve. He filled in for Durant when the starter was knocked out of an Aug. 24 game versus the B.C. Lions with a right hand injury. Sunseri, in his second year with the Riders, is 13-for-25 passing this season for 152 yards and one touchdown. "He has had his reps and its time for him to go in," Chamblin said, adding the team is exploring options on adding another quarterback to the roster. "Pretty soon well have to do something. Weve looked at some options there and even in the past couple of weeks just because of what happened in the B.C. game. Well keep working and well get something done." ' ' '
Terug naar boven
Profiel bekijken Stuur privébericht
Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    Garcia Forum // Voorbeeld Forum Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Pagina 1 van 1

Ga naar: