Garcia Forum
879 and the game took two

Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    Garcia Forum // Voorbeeld Forum
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
yyys123

BerichtGeplaatst: 14-10-2019 07:03:09    Onderwerp: 879 and the game took two Reageren met citaat
TORONTO -- Blue Jays rookie Marcus Stroman always wanted a sinker in his pitching repertoire but he could never find a grip to his liking. That all changed a couple months ago when he finally found something that worked. "I was just fooling around with the ball and just gripped a two-seam kind of awkwardly and it was super-comfortable in my hand," Stroman said. "The next day I came to the ballpark and started throwing it. Ever since then, Ive been throwing it." That sinker has become one of his go-to weapons and it was on full display Monday as Stroman threw his first career complete-game shutout in an 8-0 rout of the Chicago Cubs. Stroman (10-5) allowed only three hits and struck out eight in the opener of a three-game series at Rogers Centre. "It doesnt get any better than that," said Blue Jays manager John Gibbons. "It really starts, you know, hes commanding that fastball, I thought his breaking ball for a couple games kind of deserted him a little bit but it was back there tonight ... it was a dominating performance." Stroman, who threw 66 of his 93 pitches for strikes, became the first Toronto rookie to win 10 games since Ricky Romero won 13 games in 2009. Jose Bautista hit a three-run homer in the fifth inning as eight different Blue Jays scored a run apiece. Bautistas no-doubt blast was his 32nd homer of the season and 200th of his Blue Jays career. "Im very proud and honoured to have done it here," Bautista said. "Im just really happy but I think Im going to enjoy this one -- again, just like I always say with personal goals -- more in the off-season than anything. "We have a bigger goal that were focused on right now and thats trying to make the playoffs." Toronto (74-69) started the day five games out of a wild-card spot. Jacob Turner (5-9) shouldered the loss for Chicago (64-80), losers of four straight. Stroman gave up a single to Jorge Soler in the second inning and retired 19 straight before allowing a single to Mike Olt in the eighth. "It was awesome, it was fun," Stroman said. "Me and (catcher Dioner Navarro) were on a pretty good roll, I had all my pitches working, locating pretty good and I was down in the zone." Navarro, Adam Lind and Kevin Pillar had two hits apiece for the Blue Jays, who outhit Chicago 12-3. Stromans performance was the first complete-game shutout since Drew Hutchisons win over the Texas Rangers on May 16. "Stroman was very, very good," said Cubs manager Rick Renteria. "Very aggressive, attacked the strike zone, first-pitch strikes were very high with him. Good life to his pitches, threw very, very well. He did a great job." Stroman was given a scare after throwing his second pitch of the night. Leadoff man Chris Coghlan lashed a fastball back to the mound that just missed Stromans head. The ball deflected off his glove and bounced to shortstop Jose Reyes, who made the throw to first in time. Stroman came up smiling after dusting himself off and went on to retire the side in order. "That was the first time Ive ever had a ball hit like that back at me," Stroman said. "Praise the Lord I got out of the way. Just pure reaction. It ended up being a (complete game), I could have been out after the second pitch of the game." Stroman showed his athleticism in the third inning. Logan Watkins hit a slow grounder near the mound that Stroman backhanded before turning in the air and making an off-balance throw that was just in time for the out. Toronto scratched out a run in the second inning and added another in the fourth when Edwin Encarnacion led off with a single before moving to third on Linds flare to right field. Navarro hit a sacrifice fly to deep centre field that easily scored Encarnacion. In the fifth, Ryan Goins and Anthony Gose reached on back-to-back singles before Bautista turned on a 2-1 pitch that landed in the second deck. "Hes on some kind of roll but you guys have all seen that before," Gibbons told reporters. "Hes one of the top hitters in the game. I mean hes been that way for a few years now." The Blue Jays scored a single run in the seventh inning and added two more insurance runs in the eighth. Announced attendance was 16,879 and the game took two hours 20 minutes to play. Notes: Goins provided a highlight-reel play to end the game by barehanding a chopper and throwing Javier Baez out at first base. ... Bautista is fifth on the franchise list for home runs hit as a Blue Jay. George Bell is next with 202 and Carlos Delgado owns top spot with 336. ... Bautista has 243 career homers in all. ... Stroman threw nine innings in a 3-2 win over Detroit on Aug. 9 but settled for a no-decision. That game was tied at two when he left and the Blue Jays won it in the 10th. ... Toronto will send left-hander Mark Buehrle (11-9, 3.34 ERA) to the mound Tuesday night against right-hander Jake Arrieta (8-5, 2.81). ... This is the fourth series between the teams and third to be played at Rogers Centre. Chicago won two of three when the teams last met here in June 2008. ... Both clubs are well back in their respective division races. Toronto entered play 10 games behind Baltimore in the A.L. East while last-place Chicago entered play 15 games behind St. Louis in the N.L. Central. ... It was the opener of a six-game, seven-day road trip for the Cubs. Chicago gets an off-day Thursday before starting a three-game series at Pittsburgh. Toronto is also off Thursday before continuing its six-game homestand with a weekend series against Tampa Bay. Bob Lilly Jersey . -- Kevin Stadler might be playing in the Masters for the first time, but hes already showing his old man a thing or two. Dallas Cowboys Jerseys . -- Steven Stamkos scored his first goal since returning from a major injury, Ryan Callahan had his first goal with Tampa Bay, and the Lightning beat the Florida Panthers 5-4 on Thursday night. https://www.cowboyssportsgoods.com/Womens-Robert-Newhouse-Inverted-Jersey/ . Kripps, of Summerland, B.C., and Edmontons Barnett used a terrific second run to move up two spots, putting the Canadian duo in medal contention with the final two runs set for Monday (11:15 a.m. ET, streaming live at cbc. Chuck Howley Cowboys Jersey . Pospisil, the seventh seed, saved match points in each of the last two sets before falling to the unseeded Dutchman. "I wasnt very happy with the way I was playing,"said Pospisil. Randy White Womens Jersey . With Bernard hurt, the second-round pick has emerged.Hill ran for 152 yards during a 27-10 win at New Orleans on Sunday, his second big game. He also ran for 154 yards against Jacksonville earlier this season.In the end, it all came down to a draw to the button. In front of a sold out crowd at The Fenlands Banff Recreation Centre in Banff, Alta, Jeff Stoughton and his All-Star team emerged victorious at Sundays Travelers All-Star Curling Skins Game Presented by Pintys final. Team Stoughton defeated five-time TSN skins champion Kevin Martin and his All-Star teammates earlier Sunday afternoon following their semifinal win on Saturday over Team Brad Gushue. In total, Stoughton takes away $70,500 in prize winnings at TSNs two-day All-Star event that featured the Top 16 Canadian mens curlers – as voted by fans. Playing with an All-Star team featuring Dave Nedohin (Third), Brent Laing (Second), and Ryan Harnden (Lead), this victory marks the first TSN skins title for the two-time World Champion Stoughton. Stoughtons prize money from this weekend totals $70,500, which includes $38,000 won in Sundays final, plus $17,500 won in Saturdays semifinal, and a $15,000 winners bonus. After this weekend, Stoughtons career TSN skins game winnings now total $108,500. Martin began the final with an early lead by winning the second end, taking $4,000 following a first end carry-over. Stoughton won the third end and $3,000 to bring the game closer. He then pullled ahead following carry-overs in the fourth and fifth ends to take $13,000 in the sixth end.dddddddddddd Both Stoughton and Martin made incredible shots to force a seventh end carry-over, with the eighth end also going undecided - leading to a sudden death finish. Following a dramatic draw to the button, Stoughtons 11.5 cm shot secured the remaining $22,000 in prize money plus a $15,000 winners bonus - bringing his final tally at the two-day event to $70,500. Stoughton earned his place in Sundays Travelers All-Star Curling Skins Game Presented by Pintys final following his victory over Brad Gushues All-Star squad in Saturday afternoons first semifinal, while Martin advanced following a victory over Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games medal hopeful Brad Jacobs rink in last nights second semifinal. Overall results from the Travelers All-Star Curling Skins Game Presented by Pintys are as follows: - Team Stoughton: $70,500 ($55,500 in skins prize money + $15,000 winners bonus)- Team Martin: $15,500- Team Jacobs: $9,500- Team Gushue: $4,500 ($3,500 in skins prize money + $1,000 draw to the button bonus) Following this weekends event, Martin remains the TSN skins game all-time leader in prize money, having won a record $440,850. ' ' '
Terug naar boven
Profiel bekijken Stuur privébericht
Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    Garcia Forum // Voorbeeld Forum Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Pagina 1 van 1

Ga naar: