Garcia Forum
oure not 100 per cent

Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    Garcia Forum // Voorbeeld Forum
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
yyys123

BerichtGeplaatst: 11-10-2019 06:59:54    Onderwerp: oure not 100 per cent Reageren met citaat
With the Ides of March Madness upon us, one man seems to be at the epicentre of many young Canucks chasing that One Shining Moment beneath the 49th-parallel. Today is the eve of many a Big Dance dream being shattered and powerhouses upset as conference tournaments and, for some, college careers end before Selection Sunday. Canadian Junior Mens and Ryerson Rams Mens head basketball coach Roy Rana is no stranger to winning on almost every level, having been instrumental in the growth of some of the top players who will play in the 2014 NCAA Tournament . I sat down with Coach Rana to better understand his journey and connection to eras past, present and future in Canadian basketball, as we all prepare to fill out brackets for a chance at a cool billion of Warren Buffetts dollars, win office pools, while giving the impression of productivity at work, and cheer on our favorite teams. Is perception about the level of play/competition in Canadian high school ball changing at all? Dramatically. There is a serious respect internationally for the talent we produce here. It used to feel like people looked at Canada as a third-world basketball country, but I believe weve answered a lot of questions there. There is a general perception that the level is down, mostly because many of our best head off to Findlay [Prep] in Vegas or other prep schools in the US for higher end competition and visibility. But many credible, hard-working, talented young players are making names for themselves in this country, too. By scheduling perennially exceptional NCAA teams like Wisconsin and Syracuse for his Ryerson Rams to test their mettle, Roy Rana continues to strengthen the program with an unyielding commitment to basketball in this country. Coach Ranas ability to mold young talent was never more evident than when he led the Cadet National team to a bronze medal finish, the highest honor a Canadian team has ever achieved at the U-16 World Championships last year in Uruguay. What made that cadet team so special? Canada had never fielded that age group before for international play. Expectations were low. We just wanted to give our young guys a chance to compete on the international stage. They were a very exceptional group: so strong… focused… selfless… no egos whatsoever. The way they shared the ball and played the right way was great for us. What gets you most excited about the future of the Canadian National Team system? The depth of our talent. Were young and will take some lumps early, but the experiences will help us grow. What are some things youd like to see changed? We just have to keep working, at every level: Senior National, Junior National, Cadet… every level. We have to stay hungry and never get complacent. Are the 2016 Rio Olympics a realistic goal? Its going to be challenging. Not many have expectations for us to do well. The experience we gain internationally in developing our system is a huge factor. Well take our best shot and see where we land. In addition to major coaching success internationally, Coach Rana also helped the World Select Team to back-to-back titles at the 2012 and 2013 Nike Hoop Summit vs. the USA Basketball Mens Junior National Select Team. Beating any US team in a major basketball tournament is serious. You did it twice in a row. How? Young men like Andrew Wiggins, Dante Exum, who will be incredible, as well as the multitalented Dario Saric. If you havent heard of Exum and Saric, you will soon enough. With very little practice time together, they gelled well enough and played with the kind of effort any basketball fan would respect. The journey thus far has taken Roy Rana all over the world, but dreams of a higher station in life and through coaching are real. To what college coach would you compare your style? Thats a great question. Ive never really thought about it. Honestly, I couldnt tell you. I really love what Billy Donovan does at Florida. Im a big fan of Bo Ryan at Wisconsin, Bill Self at Kansas. Really admire Gregg Marshall at Wichita State for what hes done with that program. Hard to compare… These guys are in a different world. With all of your international experience, have you ever thought about coaching abroad, say in the US, Europe or other basketball-developing ports? Man, I always dream about learning more about my coaching abilities in different situations and circumstances. I wouldnt rule out the possibilities, but I love the city of Toronto and this country. I am blessed for what I have now and the jobs in front of me at Ryerson and within the Canadian National Team system. What about the NBA? Thats the ultimate dream, you know? Just to be able to touch that level, contribute in my way would be incredible. It would definitely have to be the right situation… right fit… What is Roy Ranas ultimate coaching goal? Max out completely with what I have before me now. Everything is about my team. Any and everything else that comes my way will be as a result of efforts of a great many people, not just me alone. At some level, Roy Rana has coached scores of players who will be chasing the NCAA Mens Basketball Championship. Pinning down his favorite player or team was difficult, but enlightening as Coach Rana showed Canadian love across the board. Best player in the country is…? Well, Doug McDermott (Creighton), with all hes done with his career, is probably the most worthy, but its tough to pick a "best player" in the country. There are close to 10 guys in that conversation. Three Canadians in Andrew [Wiggins], Tyler [Ennis] and Nik [Stauskas]… Joel Embiid, Jabari Parker, Marcus Smart, Julius Randle. Its very tough. Should Andrew Wiggins really stay at Kansas for another year of seasoning? No. If youre a top-three lottery pick and you know it, why not go? Sure, you sacrifice a bit of that college experience, which Im sure is special to him, but if the NBA thinks youre That Guy, you go, no question. Is Tyler Ennis ready to run an NBA team now? No, probably not right now. Can he come in at what 19, 20 and be a contributor immediately? Absolutely. But over time in a couple years, I believe hell be more than capable of running a team in the NBA quite well. Name your All-Canadian NCAA team. Can I have two first teams (laughs)? All of these young guys are great, but Id go with Ennis, Wiggins, [Melvin] Ejim (Iowa State), Khem Berch (UNLV) and Nik Stauskas, who had a fantastic season. I coached all of them at some point, so I dont want to leave anyone out. All had incredible years in their own right: Daniel Mullings (New Mexico State), Kevin Pangos (Gonzaga), Jordan Bachynski (Arizona State), Dwight Powell (Stanford)… Whos that darkhorse Canadian who will shine in March Madness? DyShawn Pierre of Dayton. He fills the stats sheet. Hes exciting, can do it all, multi-talented. I believe he can win a game virtually on his own in the tournament. DyShawn has real NBA potential. Who do you think will make the Final Four? Hopefully, four teams with Canadians on them. Then itll be real tough for me to pick a team to win it all! I wish all the young people well, but I cheer for the Canadians! Ivica Zubac Clippers Jersey . Josh Mazzola drove in five runs to lead the Goldeyes (20-12) past the Capitales 11-5 Friday night at Le Stade Municipal in Quebec City. Custom Los Angeles Clippers Jerseys . -- Jerry Rice Jr. https://www.clipperslockerroom.com/Wesley-Johnson-City-Edition-Jersey/ . - The Pittsburgh Pirates plan on keeping promising left fielder Starling Marte playing alongside National League MVP Andrew McCutchen for years to come. Montrezl Harrell Clippers Jersey . Both moves were announced Tuesday. The Titans had waived Matthews on Saturday when they promoted wide receiver Michael Preston from the practice squad. Lou Williams Clippers Jersey . That further limits the options of Australia coach Ewen McKenzie, who on Monday suspended six players who were involved in a night out in Dublin ahead of the Saturdays 32-15 win over the Irish. The Wallabies play Scotland on Saturday before facing Wales on Nov. DELRAY BEACH, Fla. -- John Isner held off an upset bid by Dudi Sela of Israel on Thursday night to advance to the quarterfinals of the Delray Beach Open after No. 3 seed Kei Nishikori of Japan exited the tournament because of a left hip injury. The second-seeded Isner squandered four match points in the third set after leading 4-1, but the 6-foot-10 American rallied from a 5-2 deficit to prevail in the tiebreaker for a 3-6, 6-1, 7-6 (5) victory that earned him a spot in the quarterfinals for the third consecutive year. "More times than not, when Im up 4-1, I close it out," said Isner, who is 5-0 in his three-set matches this season but is playing in his first tournament since exiting the Australian Open with an ankle injury last month. "It definitely didnt need to go to 5-5 when I was up 4-1. I put a lot of stress on myself when I do that." The world No. 13 will face American qualifier Rhyne Williams on Friday night. Williams ousted wild-card Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus 6-7 (7), 6-4, 6-2 in Thursdays nightcap to reach his second ATP quarterfinal. Nishikoris bid to win his second consecutive ATP title came to an abrupt halt Thursday afternoonn when the top-ranked Asian was forced to retire during the first set of his second-round match because of a left hip flexor injury.dddddddddddd Nishikori was trailing Teymuraz Gabashvili of Russia 4-2 when he decided to stop the match. He said that he experienced discomfort for the first time during his first-round win Tuesday in which he stretched his win-loss record this season to 12-2. "I tried to play, but if youre not 100 per cent, its tough," said Nishikori, who is ranked No. 15 in the world and was coming off a win in Memphis last week. "I couldnt do anything today. Its going to take some time to recover. Its shocking this happened, especially since Ive been playing well." Gabashvili advanced to the quarterfinals on Friday and will face No. 7 seed Marin Cilic of Croatia, who defeated American wild-card Ryan Harrison 6-3, 6-4. Samuel Groth and Max Mirnyi advanced to the doubles semifinals with a 7-6 (5), 6-4 win against Americans Sekou Bangoura and Vahid Mirzadeh. Harrison and fellow American Jack Sock filled out the final spot in the doubles semifinals with a 6-4, 7-5 win against Santiago Gonzalez and Scott Lipsky. ' ' '
Terug naar boven
Profiel bekijken Stuur privébericht
Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    Garcia Forum // Voorbeeld Forum Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Pagina 1 van 1

Ga naar: